The Mobile Crossoverby Greg Benedict - January 6, 2014
When the iPhone was released in June of 2007, we knew it would change our use of computers, but no one had any idea it would happen so fast. Today, almost all of the sites we work on now have more visitors on mobile devices than desktops – some by a significant margin.
And when you look at the trends, it’s only going to widen.
- 91% of people on Earth have a mobile phone and 50% of those people use it as their primary internet source. Only 56% of those people have a smart phone (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc).
- Tablet sales are on track to outpace laptop + desktop sales next year. 72% of those tablet owners purchase online from their tablets each week.
- More email was read on mobile than on a desktop as of March 2013.
- More than half of all Amazon orders came from a mobile device this past holiday season.
- 55% of time spent on e-commerce sites last June occurred on a mobile device.
- Almost 70% of Facebook users worldwide check from their phone or tablet. That number is nearly 80% in the US.
Don’t wait to make your websites and emails mobile friendly – your customers won’t.